Monday, June 3, 2013

Risk Free Experimenting - The Power of a Sketchbook

Trying Something New


When experiencing a sense of comfort and control with a particular tool or technique, I know it's time to try something different, something unfamiliar. Maybe a different brush, round rather than flat. Maybe different paper, pigment, pen, ink or pencil. Maybe a completely different style.  Maybe just a small change in the approach to a sketch or painting.

Seashells-5-myrtle-beach-sc-ink-watercolor-chris-carter-artist-052913-web
Opening

Though I do a pretty good job at pushing myself out of the comfort zone, I'm still a creature of habit. I haven't been experimental with the style of drawing I often use playing The Color Scheme Game.  The last day of my road trip with Tom, I decided to try incorporating the wet in wet color mixing technique I enjoyed at the Don Andrews Workshop.
.


Seashells No. 4 Myrtle Beach, SC

Seashells No. 4 Myrtle Beach, SC





Seashells No. 3, Myrtle Beach, SC

Seashells No. 3, Myrtle Beach, SC



.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Though the top sketch may not look too different from the other two, similar sketches of seashells, I felt completely different when painting it.  I tapped into something different, I'm not sure what.  I do know that I got rid of a few cobwebs and opened a door to something that will make my paintings stronger.
.

Sketchbook drawing: Drawn first in ink with fountain pen, followed by wet in wet watercolor washes.

 

 
Risk Free Experimenting - The Power of a Sketchbook

No comments: