Friday, June 14, 2013

Focusing on Focal Points

Focal Points and Edges


A recent experience of judging an exhibit of watercolor paintings brought my attention to focal points and edges.  The questions I have to ask myself is "What do I want viewers to look at and why do I want them to look at it?  What makes the scene, the object, the patterns exciting and/or worthy of me spending time translating it into a painting?"  If I simply want to enjoy pushing paint around, I don't need to answer those questions.  If I want to snag someone's attention and keep their attention for at least thirty seconds, I need to use the right bait.
.


Dolls in Washstand

Dolls in Washstand



.

The answers can be simple.... "I like the pattern of the tree trunks as the light is hitting them. I like the shape of the teapot. The colors of flowers excite me."
.

If it's the pattern of the tree trunks then I want to make sure they are the main actors and the foliage, sky and ground are not as detailed, not as sharp-edged, or as contrasty as the tree trunks.  If it's the shape of the teapot, I want to make sure that the tea cup, spoon, flowers in the flower vase, pattern of the tablecloth and the slice of cake don't compete for attention.  If it's the colors of the flowers, I want to make sure that I make them sing loudly by contrasting them against more neutralized hues.
.

Sketchbook Drawing:  Dolls in Washstand - drawn first in ink with a fountain pen, followed by watercolor washes.  What do I want the viewer to look at in this little sketch?

 

 

 
Focusing on Focal Points

No comments: