Monday, June 17, 2013

Altered Reality

Another thought on focal points...


.

When critiquing several artists' work last week I asked "What is your focal point?".  The artist responded that it was the front door of the house.  Honestly, I hadn't noticed the front door.  It was the smallest shape, the most neutral hue and had soft, blurred edges.  The windows to the far right and far left of the front door had the lightest light and the darkest dark as well as the sharpest edges in the painting.  My eyes bounced back and forth between windows from one edge of the painting to the other.
.


Dolls in Washstand - altered reality

Dolls in Washstand - altered reality




"Why not make the door larger?" I asked.  "Then the whole house wouldn't fit in the painting," she replied. "Do you need the whole house in the painting?" I asked.  "Don't I?" she asked in return. "If what you're interested in is the front door, I don't think you need the whole house," I answered. "I hadn't thought of that," she responded. "What if you increased the intensity of the color on the door and neutralized the color on the windows?" I asked.  "But that's not how it was....  the door was in shadow and the sun was striking the windows." ..... "I don't know that though, do I? The photograph isn't hanging beside the painting. Isn't it more important to capture my attention with your painting than to tell the truth about where the sun was on the day you snapped the photo?"
.

The artist's eyes lit up.  A smile crossed her face as she appeared to be liberated from a heavy burden.  "You mean I don't have to stick to reality?"  I returned her smile.... "Absolutely not!"
.

Sketchbook drawings: drawn first in ink with fountain pen, followed by watercolor.
Altered Reality

No comments: