Friday, May 17, 2013

Four Day Workshop with Don Andrews

Pushing to a new level in a four day workshop with Don Andrews....


.

I have admired the paintings of Don Andrews for years.  His colors sing. He  creates strong design through his use of shapes and values.  I've spent many nights re-reading his book Interpreting the Figure in Watercolor.  Though he is articulate, nothing compares with watching him lay the paint on the paper!
.


medicine-man-b2-chris-carter-artist-watercolor-051613-web.

This painting began as an exercise on the third day, experimenting with granulated washes using abstract shapes leaving a few strong shapes unpainted, exposing the white of the paper.  After applying several layers of granulated washes, the white shape began to suggest a figure.  In the studio, it often takes me hours of throwing, splattering, washing off and tilting before a figure will emerge.  Twenty minutes after applying the first strokes of vivid pigment to the paper, the Medicine Man appeared.  I suggested the eye and mouth before packing up my paints for the day.
.


Detail of Medicine Man's head in two stages

Detail of Medicine Man's head in two stages



.

During the first part of the fourth day I softened some edges and suggested more subtle form.
.


Medicine Man - two stages

Medicine Man - two stages



.

The differences between the second and last stage may not be obvious at first glance.  The last, careful touches made a world of difference through my eyes.  Of all the painting I did over the four days, this is my favorite.
.

Painting:  Medicine Man - watercolor - 9" x 13" image

 

 
Four Day Workshop with Don Andrews

No comments: