Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Exhibit at Connexions Gallery, Easton, PA

I've neglected my blogs in favor of painting and framing for my upcoming show at Connexions Gallery.  While preparing for the watercolor demo at the Hunterdon Watercolor Society I happened upon another technique that I have become enthralled with.  In addition to my recent addiction to my mouth atomi er, I am rubbing graphite or charcoal filings into the paper as a final touch to emphasi e shapes and values.  My fascination with these new techniques has caused me to alter the selection of paintings that will be hung at the exhibit.  The rest of the week will be spent framing.....


.

Watercolor, Graphite and Charcoal



.

I've been searching for a way to bring together my love of drawing and my love of splattering. I've been blind to the most obvious solution.  Drawing with pencil or charcoal stick produces edges that are sharper than I want.  Using a cotton swab or blending stump works well to control the value as well as the edges.
.

red-black-lace-watercolor-graphite-filings-chris-carter-artist-040313-web
.

Paintings - Shapes created initially with a variety of templates, kitchen utensils and carpenter tools.  Layers of watercolor created texture and movement.  Graphite and Charcoal rubbed into paper for final definition of shapes and values.
Exhibit at Connexions Gallery, Easton, PA

No comments: