Sunday, April 7, 2013

Exercise: Exploring Neutrals in a Limited Palette

In the last exercise you created a color wheel and color strips using a limited palette of three hues.  One or two of the hues fell into the category of rarely being used or least favorite.  Hopefully you discovered that your ugly hue produced some pretty nice neutrals.  Exercise: Creating a More Neutrali ed Color Wheel


.

Orb-series-artist-trading-cards-watercolor-li ited-palette-chris-carter-artist-040613-web
.

Draw three rectangles the si e of Artist Trading Cards, 2.5" x 3.5" (or larger if you wish).  Create different abstract, geometric designs on each.  I used circle templates, triangles and french curves for quick design patterns.  Using the color palette from the last exercise, paint the three drawings.  Each one should emphasi e a different segment of the color wheel, exploring further the color combinations possible with that specific limited palette.  Throw the dice and play the Color Scheme Game with that palette if you wish.
.


Orbs No. 3

Orbs No. 3



.

My palette for the paintings above was Raw Sienna, Cadmium Red Deep and Ultramarine Blue.  I'm already looking forward to trying out another one of my ugly colors.  Hmmmmm.  I can't think of another color that I don't like as much as I didn't like Cadmium Red Deep.  Now, I can't say that I don't like it.  I used this palette for six new paintings that will be dropped off at Connexions Gallery tomorrow morning.  All six of them are watercolor paintings.

 

 

 
Exercise: Exploring Neutrals in a Limited Palette

No comments: