Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Sweet Potato Vine

Rooting Tubers in Jars of Water


I didn't have sawdust or wood shavings for storing my sweet potato vine tubers over the winter.  Instead, I stuck toothpicks into them, suspended them in glass jars and covered them with water.  Before long, two of the tubers sprouted leaves.  After three days glued to piles of paper and my computer, I took a break from preparing my 2012 tax return and focused on the lovely leaves reaching toward the winter sun...... great shapes to play with design.
.

Sweet-Potato-Vine-ACEO-Artist-Trading-Cards-ink-Watercolor-chris-carter-artist-030513-full



.

I'm ready for spring.  I dream of the annual trip to Well Sweep Farm to purchase my supply of potted herb plants.  The herbs I wintered over are struggling, doing their best to look healthy and happy.  The aroma of scented rose geranium and rosemary still brighten my day when I brush against them in passing.



.

Artist Trading Card - Sweet Potato Vine Leaves - drawn first in ink with a fountain pen, followed by watercolor.


Sweet Potato Vine

No comments: