Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Exercise - Creating a more neutralized Color Wheel

A more neutrali ed color wheel ...


In the last exercise I used aureolin yellow, permanent crimson and phthalo blue.  In the following demo I am using raw sienna, cadmium red deep and ultramarine blue.  At the end of the video I show a comparison of the colors in identical color schemes.  The second video demonstrates how to make the scaled color mix strips that will provide more information about the wonderful transitions between the two primary colors you choose to create your wheels .... and ultimately, your expressive paintings.
.


https://vimeo.com/62700184

.

For this color wheel I chose a color I never use..... Cadmium Red Deep.  I am surprised at how lovely the mixes are.  This exercise is great for opening up ignored tubes of paint and discovering new ranges of color.  The paperclip in the red paint was used to coax the pigment out of the tube!  Notice that I keep the primary colors completely clean and unmixed.  I wash my brush constantly so that I don't carry unwanted pigments into my mixes.  In the following video I show you how to paint your color strips.  The music is a bit wonky...... I've uploaded it multiple times without being able to correct it.....  I'm still learning how to make my own videos!
.


.

 

Remember to label both your color wheels and your color mix strips.  Be daring!  Try pigments you think might be terrible when mixed..... see what happens.
Exercise - Creating a more neutrali ed Color Wheel

No comments: